A Christian Blog to encourage, challenge and strengthen.
...So shall My word be that goes forth from My mouth;

It shall not return to Me void,
But it shall accomplish what I desire,
And achieve the purpose for which I sent it. Isaiah 55:11

Saturday, August 23, 2014

'A Light Affliction'....


I had a kind of a spiritual 'meltdown' a few nights back... after praying deeply and weeping heavily off and on over the last couple weeks because of the slaughter of Christians going on in the Middle East; it came to a head when I saw the photo for the video of the recent beheading of James Foley. I just sobbed and sobbed, prayed intensely and sobbed some more. I have been praying for the persecuted church for years; praying for them to be given courage, for boldness, for strength and strong witness for those in prison.

But the peak of this was so awful... I felt all joy flee away... that there could never be joy as long as my brethren were suffering so terribly. I was overcome with the desperate emptiness of having no hope because there was no longer any joy. Life was meaningless without joy and I thought, “How can I ever have joy again or what right did I have to any joy or happiness while these tragedies play out in their increasing intensity as the days go by. And what of the world wide persecution yet to come (and the slaughter today is just a taste of that future time) when the anti-Christ rules and countless will be martyred for the name of Christ? How can there be any joy and how can there be any happiness... how could I be free to think pleasant thoughts in the midst of these troublesome days?

And I cried and prayed and sought the Lord's counsel. And slowly, the beautiful dawn of understanding began to sooth my soul and the Lord spoke scripture after scripture to me... calming my heart, comforting me and letting me see the 'big' picture. And these are the scriptures He gave me... and I pray they will comfort you as well and know in your heart that the Christian can have peace and joy even in the midst of atrocity.

I still pray deeply for the Brethren, but then I leave it all in Gods' very capable hands and I continue on in my day... taking joy in the quiet, sweet things of His creation and being ever more grateful and thankful for even the smallest of His kindnesses. I can have sorrow for the suffering of others and at the same time bless God by acknowledging His love and care and be uplifted and comforted in knowing that eternity is the real 'world' while I slowly pass through this one...

Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. John 14:27

For our light affliction, which is but for a moment, is working for us a far more exceeding and eternal weight of glory, 2 Corinthians 4:17 (When Paul wrote this scripture by the Holy Spirit, it was during a time of great persecution, and he called it a light affliction because of the wonderful grandness of eternity compared with the fleeting days of this short time in this present world which are in comparison with eternity... 'only a moment')

My brethren, count it all joy when you fall into various trials, knowing that the testing of your faith produces patience. But let patience have its perfect work, that you may be perfect and complete, lacking nothing. ... James 1:2-3

looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Hebrews 12:2

Weeping may endure for a night, But joy comes in the morning. Psalm 30:5

To console those who mourn in Zion, To give them beauty for ashes, The oil of joy for mourning, The garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; That they may be called trees of righteousness, The planting of the Lord, that He may be glorified.” Isaiah 61:3
Indeed the hour is coming, yes, has now come, that you will be scattered, each to his own, and will leave Me alone. And yet I am not alone, because the Father is with Me. These things I have spoken to you, that in Me you may have peace. In the world you will have tribulation; but be of good cheer, I have overcome the world. John 16:32-33